insurance insider news
Working in the front lines of the insurance industry, we have unique insight into different trends and events shaping the future of the industry, the regulations, trends and Underwriters perspectives. Keep informed by monitoring these unique insights on trends and events which impact insurance, directly from experienced insurance industry insiders.
Sign up to our newsletter and be the first to know.
Introduction In the challenging world of medicine, healthcare professionals often encounter patients who present unique challenges, including those who have a history of filing lawsuits against physicians. A case in point involves a patient who, unbeknown to the...
Introduction In the intricate world of legal battles, a menacing phenomenon has emerged — runaway jury verdicts in medical malpractice cases. These colossal judgments, often directed at the medical establishment, represented by the defendant — cast a shadow over the...
Based on medical malpractice trends we’ve monitored throughout the past year, our predicted outlook for 2024 is for many of those trends to continue. There are no surprises — Costs will continue to rise, technology will play a bigger role and the market will continue...
In the late summer of 2022, Pennsylvania's Supreme Court made a decision that would reverberate through the state's healthcare corridors. The court dismantled a rule pivotal in maintaining the equilibrium of the state’s medical liability system, a safeguard that had...
As tensions rise in the Middle East, cyber attacks are increasing. Are your healthcare clients protected?
Healthcare providers of all sizes need another level of protection for their online systems. As tensions rise in the Middle East, cyberattacks are likely to increase.
RAC audits are a niche area of opportunity to provide essential coverage in today’s healthcare landscape
In the fast-changing world of commercial insurance, agents must stay ahead of industry trends and recognize burgeoning opportunities for their continued success. But for those who want to increase their income, there are two ways of achieving that: They can either...
A recent survey has uncovered a significant concern for residents in nursing homes: the apprehension of facing retaliation from staff members if they voice their concerns or report instances of neglect or abuse. The study, undertaken by the Long Term Care Community...
The digital healthcare revolution has taken the country by storm - an exciting new area, where opportunities abound for commercial agents. This rapid growth, was fueled by a combination of changing lifestyle trends, technological advancements and a shortfall in...
Navigating the labyrinthine world of malpractice insurance can be a daunting task for commercial agents. With a plethora of carriers, coverage options, and pricing tiers to choose from, finding the right policy can become a time-consuming endeavor fraught with...
The insurance landscape is ever-evolving, and understanding the latest trends can help commercial agents identify opportunities in the marketplace. When we assessed the appetites of a sampling of our top carriers - certain classes of business in healthcare emerge as...
the latest industry news from around the web
- Feed has no items.
- Digital assistive tech vital to dignity among dementia patients: reportby Aaron Dorman on February 23, 2024 at 5:20 am
A recent review of studies around "digital assistive tech" showed these tools helped dementia sufferers preserve dignity and monitor health.
- New aphasia therapy app helps stroke victims recover speechby Aaron Dorman on February 23, 2024 at 5:17 am
A new app to help with aphasia was able to improve users’ spontaneous speech and recall of commonly used words, according to a study.
- New app puts popular cognitive assessment tool onto smartphonesby Aaron Dorman on February 23, 2024 at 5:15 am
A new app allows users to take a rapid version of the Montreal Cognitive Assessment on their smartphone, for early warning signs of dementia.
- Long-term care execs see modest salary increases: reportby Kimberly Bonvissuto on February 23, 2024 at 5:08 am
Long-term care corporate executives took home an average salary increase of 3.69% last year, up slightly from the 3.17% reported salary increase in 2022, according to a new report.
- Researchers develop bilayer adhesive hemostat using proteins derived from mussels and silkwormson February 23, 2024 at 11:16 am
In recent news, there has been a case where a patient experienced pain due to a surgical procedure involving sutures, resulting in the unintended presence of gauze within the patient's body.
- Pregnancy care was always lacking in jails. It could get worse.on February 23, 2024 at 11:00 am
It was about midnight in June 2022 when police officers showed up at Angela Collier's door and told her that someone anonymously requested a welfare check because they thought she might have had a miscarriage.
- Florida defies CDC in measles outbreak, telling parents it’s fine to send unvaccinated kids to schoolon February 23, 2024 at 10:53 am
With a brief memo, Florida Surgeon General Joseph Ladapo has subverted a public health standard that's long kept measles outbreaks under control.
- Optibrium enables collaborative design in its StarDrop platformon February 23, 2024 at 10:51 am
The new Idea Tracker capability further improves the efficiency of drug discovery by supporting project management, idea sharing and molecule design tracking.
- AdventHealth For Children Named Among Best Children’s Hospitalson August 3, 2023 at 5:15 pm
AdventHealth For Children Named Among Best Children’s Hospitals AdventHealth for children named among best children’s hospitals. AdventHealth for Children has received significant recogni...
- Walmart Introduces Specialty Pharmacies In Orlando To Improve HIV Healthcareon June 26, 2023 at 1:00 am
Walmart Introduces Specialty Pharmacies In Orlando To Improve HIV Healthcare Walmart introduced specialty pharmacies in Orlando to improve HIV healthcare. Walmart is known for its diverse offerings...
- New Morning-After Type Pill May Be The Answer To Rising STD Caseson May 1, 2023 at 12:45 am
New Morning-After Type Pill May Be The Answer To Rising STD Cases New morning-after type pill may be the answer to rising STD cases. Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are seeing a concerning inc...
- Sick Profit: Investigating Private Equity’s Stealthy Takeover of Health Care Across Cities and Specialtieson January 18, 2023 at 1:13 am
By Fred Schulte, Kaiser Health News Two-year-old Zion Gastelum died just days after dentists performed root canals and put crowns on six baby teeth at a clinic affiliated w...
- Cell engineering team links cancer drug to potential therapy for Alzheimer's diseaseon February 23, 2024 at 3:05 pm
In experiments with lab-grown brain cells and mouse models, scientists at Johns Hopkins Medicine say they have discovered that a cell surface protein called Lag3 is not only a biological target for FDA-approved drugs that stimulate the immune system to attack cancer, but also may be a target for a drug designed to clean up "misfolded" Tau proteins linked to Alzheimer's disease.
- Researchers identify protein integral to gut health, may lead to treatments for inflammatory bowel diseaseon February 23, 2024 at 2:46 pm
La Trobe University researchers have identified a protein that is integral to gut health, providing an important lead in the search for a treatment for people with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). Research published in Communications Biology shows for the first time that in mice, the removal of the protein BECLIN1 causes a condition with similarities to IBD.
- A calming neurotransmitter can also be excitatory, study findson February 23, 2024 at 2:24 pm
A neurotransmitter previously thought only to calm neurons may also play a role in waking them up, according to a study published in the journal PLOS Biology, a discovery which challenges the textbook view of how neurons communicate with one another in the brain.
- Children's drawings contain valuable information about how they thinkon February 23, 2024 at 2:03 pm
Children's ability to draw recognizable objects and to recognize each other's drawings improves concurrently throughout childhood, according to a new study from Stanford University.
subscribe to the insurance insider newsletter
insurance for allied health care
insurance for hospitals
Hospital Insurance typically covers all or part of the potential liability for hospital services. It includes medical malpractice, accidents involving hospital employees and equipment, care during surgery or any other invasive treatment, after-hours care arrangements by staff who need help with their children and more.
insurance for long term care facilities
Long term care facilities must protect themselves against potential liability arising from incidents within their facility. Westwood can help you negotiate a package tailored to your long term care facility client.
insurance for medical providers
traditional insurance products
Westwood have fostered exceptional relationships with underwriters and we go to great lengths to keep abreast of their latest products, changes in requirements and restrictions, including having weekly calls with the carriers, which you can see here, by joining our insurance insider group.
- Professional Liability Insurance (Medical Malpractice Insurance)
- General Liability Insurance
- Business Owner’s Policy (BOP Insurance)
- Excess and umbrella coverage
- Cyber Liability Insurance
- Telemedicine Malpractice Insurance
- Commercial Property Insurance
- Commercial Auto Insurance
- Directors and Officers Liability (D&O) insurance
- Sexual Abuse & Molestation (SAM) insurance
- Workers’ Compensation Insurance
- RAC Audit Coverage
- Errors & Omissions Insurance
- Employment Practices Liability
- Environmental Liability insurance
- HNO Insurance
- Fully/Partially Funded insurance
- Crime Insurance
Westwood President, Michael Richards has extensive experience in setting up alternative structures for larger clients. Here are some examples:
- Starting a Single Parent Captive (Pure captive)
- Joining a Protected Cell Captive (Segregated Cell)
- Micro Captive Insurance
- Group Captive Insurance
- Risk Retention Group (RRG)
- Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) Captive
- Stand alone ERP (extended reporting period)
- Loss Portfolio Transfers (LPTs)
If you think your client could be large and stable enough to benefit from starting or participating in a captive or has a special need for another alternative structure, contact Michael Richards now by phone: 855 351 7487.